Saturday, October 11, 2014

Halloween Deco Mesh Wreath and how I made it.



I am obsessed! With Deco Mesh! Now that holiday season is here I can finally turn all that obsession into reality. I've gotten pretty good at it too. So here's how I did it!

First off watch this youtube video by Southern Charm Wreaths. This is essentially how I made this wreath in particular. I usually do them a different way and this was my first time trying a curly wreath.

I made my own work wreath form with chenille stems and staggard them with 12 on top and 12 on bottom like this:




I cut my deco mesh to 10 inches and used the technique in the video all the way around the outer stems with my three colors:







I puffed up my loops on the top and then went around the bottom stems TWICE. If you only do it once it looks thin and you can see through to the other side which is not what I was going for:





Next I added flex tubing to my wreath. I found a value pack and Michaels for 50% off that has black, purple, orange, green, and white. I cut the tubing into 10 inch strips and made sure to cut enough to stuff into each of my chenille stems which equaled 24 pieces total for each color. I took a piece of each color and tied them together with a Sally's salon clip the same way I would for a hair bow.



I lined them all up and secured the clip in the middle at 5 inches


I used embroidery thread and loosely made a tie. Don't tie it all the way.  I then slippped the ends back through each side, turned the clip over, and tied on the other side. This time I pulled all the way.



Doing it this way makes it easier so you don't have to deal with it coming undone while trying to double knot. I make sure after I do this to give it a couple good knots to make sure that it stays secure.

After I get all 24 pieces done, I attached them to all of my stems:





This next part is totally up to you. I added my ribbon crosses to every other stem on the top row and then evenly placed five on the inside. I cut all my ribbon to 12 inches and spiked the tailed then added them to my wreath. You could add ribbon to every stem or none at all.
 
 
All I did next was add my sign and hang on the door! Make sure to fluff all your poofs and arrange the tubing and ribbon as you see fit. I am working on matching garland to go with it.  Hopefully a tutorial on that will be up soon.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment